Monday, March 27, 2006

Pseudo-thai Chicken thigh

In Australia, when you want to order the part of the chicken thigh that includes the bone (Yes that really big piece of meat), you ask for 'Maryland' from the butcher. At least this is what my housemate tells me when he goes marketing. I wonder what is the story behind it.
Maryland makes you merry.
Maryland makes you marry a monster. (Sung to any tune possible).
I wonder whether women named Mary actually like ordering Maryland. Maybe they feel slightly insulted. But its possible that its quite flattering too. Having said that, when tutors try to pronounce my Chinese name its truly hilarious. However, i would imagine that its kind of insulting to some who are overly proud of their native heritage. Anyway, i tend to forgive the Australians for trying their hand at Zhi-Qian. It does contain sounds that they have never done in their lives. It usually comes out as G-Queen. You also couldn't possibly imagine how the hyphen in my name stumbles them. I seem to have taken this episodes as jokes on them now instead of on me. I kind of get kicks seeing them panic while trying to be polite.
Which brings me to changing my name. I just read that a psychological term called attentional blink is commonly abbreviated as 'AB'. I should call myself Attentional-Blink EL. It has great potential dont you think? It could make for a really confusing wedding invitation though, but thats about the only problem i can think of. HAHAHA.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said disgustingly...

Attentional-blink EL? And what's the short form for that? ABEL LAH!-Lou

March 28, 2006 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home